Friday, May 10, 2013

My Unexpected Journey

Watched The Hobbit last night for my birthday. I love JRR Tolkien. As I watched last night, I realized I am the hobbit. When Eric proposed this foreign service life I adamantly said no, no, no. I even agree with "how can I leave my books, my garden, my chair? I am comfortable here." I did not want this life, I thought. We had our dream home in Southern California. We had spent two years remodeling our 2400 square foot, 3 car garage home that opened up onto an half acre garden with a pool and a stream running through the back. I get choked up writing this, really.

I made the mistake of praying about it. I asked The Lord what he wanted me to do. I was reading the Old Testament at the time.  The words in Genesis 12:1-2 jumped out at me. "Get thee out of thy country, thou shalt be a blessing." I am not comparing myself to Abram, I am just saying The Lord used the words to speak to my heart. I got a strong feeling in my heart and an impression came to my mind that this is what we were supposed to do. I cried and argued and tried to ignore it. But every scripture I read seemed to jump out and condemn me for not being willing to go. In the end I too ran out the door on this adventure.

Though I still miss home sometimes, more so lately since both of the kids have grown and moved out, I love the adventure and myself and my family have been blessed in so many ways because of the foreign service life we have lived. Just as in the Hobbit, adventure doesn't mean easy or glamorous. It is difficult and scary and I still get homesick, but even today, I would run out the door to greet it. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this struggle you had. I think you're brave for having obeyed that impression you got, even when it was not what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete